Gary Player has won 167 professional golf tournaments worldwide and is one of only five men to capture golf’s coveted career Grand Slam. He won nine Major championships on the PGA Tour and nine Major championships on the Senior Tour, and is the only player in history to complete the career Grand Slam on both Tours.
Off the course, Player has raised more than $62 million for underprivileged children’s education globally through the efforts of The Player Foundation and the Gary Player Invitational series in South Africa, China, USA, UK, UAE, and Japan with a goal to raise $100 million by 2025; he has designed nearly 400 golf courses worldwide; he has bred more than 2000 winning racehorses on the Gary Player Stud Farm in the Great Karoo of South Africa; and in recognition of his achievements in golf as well as his dedication to charity, Player has received numerous awards including the Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award and the PGA Tour’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He currently serves as the Global Ambassador to the World Golf Hall of Fame and has been dubbed the Black Knight, Mr. Fitness, and The World’s Most Traveled Athlete™ having travelled more than 26 million kilometers. He recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of his career Grand Slam achievement and his 80th birthday. In 2016, he captained the South African Olympic Golf Team in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Click below to learn more about a living golfing legend:
Name: Gary Player
Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 150 lbs /68 kgs
Birth Date: November 1, 1935
Birthplace: Johannesburg, South Africa
Residence: Gary Player Stud Farm, Colesberg, South Africa
Club Affiliation: Blair Atholl, Johannesburg, South Africa
Family: Wife: Vivienne
Children: Jennifer, Marc, Wayne, Michele, Theresa and Amanda. Grandchildren: 22
Golf Courses: Cypress Point (USA), Links at Fancourt (South Africa), The Old Course (Scotland)
Movies: Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, Lonesome Dove
TV Shows: The O’Reilly Factor, CSI Miami
Actors: Kevin Spacey, John Malkovich
Books: The Holy Bible, The Power of Positive Thinking, China Study
Foods: Fruits, vegetables, raw almonds
Entertainers: Pavarotti and Cirque du Soleil
Athletes: Roger Federer and Lorena Ochoa
• ONLY MODERN GOLFER to win The Open in three different decades.
• South African SPORTSMAN OF THE CENTURY AWARD
• The HILTON HOTEL LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD in 1995
• THE ORDER OF IKHAMANGA (in gold for exceptional achievement) in 2003 by President Mbeki of South Africa for excellence in golf and his contribution to South Africa
• One of the original inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974
• One of only 10 golfers to be named Honorary Member of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews
• NEC World Championship of Golf Trophy renamed the Gary Player Cup
• Awarded the 2003 LAUREUS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD at the Laureus World Sports Awards in Monte Carlo for dedication to charity
• Received the 2006 PAYNE STEWART AWARD in recognition of philanthropic achievements and the exemplary manner in which he has conducted himself on and off the course
• The first international recipient of the PGA TOUR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD in 2012
• 2000 PGA TOUR AMBASSADOR OF GOLF AWARD
• Honorary Doctorate of Law from the University of St. Andrews, Scotland
• Honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Ulster, Ireland
• Honorary Doctorate of Law from the University of Dundee, Scotland
• Honorary Member of Carnoustie Golf Course
• Turned professional at age 17 in 1953
• Celebrated the 50th anniversary of his career Grand Slam in 2015
• Claims 31 hole-in-ones, the last one taking place at the 2016 Masters
• Three-time Presidents Cup Captain – 2003, 2005 and 2007
• Became the first international player to win The Masters in 1961
• Celebrated his 50th anniversary as a professional in 2003
• Appointed Global Ambassador to Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf Series
• Player-bred racehorse Broadway Flyer competed in the 1994 English Derby
• Honors received in other sports: Rugby, Cricket, Track & Field, Boxing and Diving
• Captain of the 2016 South African Men’s and Women’s Olympic Golf Team
Gary has lived his life based on the following commandments:
1. Change is the price of survival.
2. Everything in business is negotiable, except quality.
3. A promise made is a debt incurred.
4. For all we take in life we must pay.
5. Persistence and common sense are more important than intelligence.
6. The fox fears not the man who boasts by night but the man who rises early in the morning.
7. Accept the advice of the man who loves you, though you like it not at present.
8. Trust instinct to the end, though you cannot render any reason.
9. The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but that while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night.
10. There is no substitute for personal contact.
The Black Knight’s workout routine consists of various types of leg, lower-back and neck stretching, sets of one-legged squats, 1000 mixed crunches (the last set done with extra weights), several core exercises, weighted wrist roles, leg press, various dumbbell exercises, and concludes with sprints on the treadmill.
His strength workout includes 20-25 reps of lunges and squats, wrist curls, forward and reverse, with 20-pound dumbbells.
Depending on where he is in the world, Player’s workout can slightly change. When in the states, he will spend 30-45 minutes jogging on the treadmill for cardio. On his ranch in South Africa, Player had 200 steps built into the hillside and he will alternate between jogging, walking and taking two steps at a time. He swims for about 20 minutes while holding on to a paddleboard and using just his legs.
His workout also includes 20-30 minutes of meditation, believing it is just as important to keep the mind strong as well as the body.
A healthy diet is essential to live a long and prosperous life. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. To make sure he fuels his body everyday with essential vitamins and minerals, Gary Player created his own little concoction to give him a boost and energy to operate at a high level.
Juice all of these ingredients for a perfect combination, and drink as soon as possible as enzymes are at their peak.
• Carrot Tops
• Sunflower Sprouts
• Pea Greens
• Cabbage Leaves
• Stinging Nettle
• Beet Greens
• Swiss Chard
Add these to sweeten:
• Touch of garlic
Gary Player has made a definite contribution to the quality of the South African stud book. This is endorsed by the fact that he is the first South African breeder ever to produce an international Group 1 winner in the USA out of a South African mare – Serena. His long-term commitment still captures excitement as every new stakes winner appears.
His unwavering commitment to quality and perfection has resulted in the production of a very high percentage of stakes winners. The original small band of broodmares produced an average 12 percent stakes winners per crop including Pinehurst, World Over, Foreign Source, Kadarko, Foolish Pride, My Advantage, Derby Way, Creator, Superwood, Lady Windermere, Supper Club, Sangria Girl, Madrisa, Chave De Oura, and others for clients like Nino’s Mistral. From only three mares at stud in America, Gary has bred three stakes winners including Gr1 Broadway Flyer and French Gr3 Cachet Noir.