Victory eased Player’s pain of four days of unbearable pressure as daily leader. Gary stated after…
Learn More »
Gary has played in 438 PGA Tour events. He placed in the Top 25 in 281 of those events. He was the last player to win three PGA Tour Tournaments in a row, when he captured the Houston Open the week following the Tournament of Champions in 1978. Other PGA Tour highlights include:
- One of only five players to win golf’s career Grand Slam, joining Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods in the feat.
- Completed Grand Slam at age 29 in 1965.
- Only player in the 20th century to win the British Open in three different decades.
- Last won Masters in 1978, when he started seven strokes behind the leaders entering the final round and won by one shot with birdies at seven of the last 10 holes for a back nine 30 and a final round 64. One week later came from seven strokes back in the final round to win the Tournament of Champions.
PGA Tour Victories
- 1958 Kentucky Derby Open
- 1959 British Open Championship
- 1961 Lucky International, Sunshine Open, Masters
- 1962 PGA Championship
- 1963 San Diego Open
- 1964 “500” Festival, Pensacola Open
- 1965 US Open
- 1968 British Open
- 1969 Tournament of Champions
- 1970 Greater Greensboro Open
- 1971 Greater Jacksonville Open, National Airlines Open
- 1972 New Orleans Open, PGA Championship
- 1973 Southern Open
- 1974 Masters, Danny Thomas-Memphis Classic
- 1974 British Open
- 1978 Masters, Tournament of Champions, Houston Open