With one of the strongest fields ever assembled for the oldest professional senior event in golf, Gary…
Learn More »
Gary has played in 410 Champions Tour events. He had one or more victories in each of his first seven years on the circuit, nine of twelve years overall. And, he was Top 10 on the Champions Tour money list from 1986-1990. Some highlights include:
- Won his first Champions Tour event taking the 1985 Quadel Seniors Classic.
- Earned his 18th official Champions Tour win six weeks before his 60th birthday.
- Largest paycheck of his career came at a Champions Tour event winning $202,500 at the 1989 RJR Championship.
- Out dueled Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino for his third Senior PGA Championship title in 1990.
- Defeated Bob Charles in a playoff that year at Medinah for the US Senior Open title, his second in a row.
- Five-time winner in 1988 including the PGA Seniors and US Senior Open.
- Won back-to-back titles in 1997 at the Senior British Open and the Shell Wentworth Masters.
- Became the second oldest winner on the Champions Tour by shooting three consecutive rounds of 68 to capture the 1998 Northville Long Island Classic. In January 2000, shut out through the first 18 holes, Player staged the biggest comeback in the history of the Champions Skins Game by making a birdie on the first playoff hole to win four skins and a $220, 000 jackpot to win the match.
Champions Tour Victories
- 1985 Quadel Seniors Classic
- 1986 General Foods PGA Seniors Championship, United Hospital Classic, Denver Post Champions
- 1987 Mazda Senior TPC, US Senior Open, PaineWebber World Seniors Invitational
- 1988 General Foods PGA Seniors Championship, Aetna Challenge, Southwestern Bell Classic, US Senior Open, GTE North Classic
- 1989 GTE North Classic, RJR Championship
- 1990 PGA Seniors Championship
- 1991 Royal Caribbean Classic
- 1993 Bank One Senior Classic
- 1995 Bank One Senior Classic
- 1998 Northville Long Island Classic